Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Pain Train


Just wanted to take a moment and say happy birthday to a person that I've apparently known since I was in diapers. Robert Pfeffer came into my life when my parents first moved to Hacienda Heights. His grandfather was actually the one who sold the house to my parents back in the 80's and I guess he brought baby Robert with him to meet me as well. Little did we know that over a decade later, we would meet again in a high school algebra class and somehow become good friends in our school's engineering academy.

While we're on the subject, let me tell you a quick little story about our engineering days. In high school, Pfeffer was the mechanical team leader and I was the electrical team leader in our engineering program and every year we would challenge ourselves with alternative energy projects. This particular year, we entered a solar car race that is held in Kansas annually. Because of his size and physical fitness, Pfeffer was also chosen to drive the solar car that I was in charge of, Lightspeed II. Here's the kicker- in our practice run at the race track, Pfeffer managed to wreck the car flipping it repeatedly into the ground. It was literally one of the most horrific things I had ever witnessed but thanks to our team's attention to detail and a simple safety helmet, Pfeffer escaped with only minor scratches and bruises. While he was at the hospital recouperating, my team's new challenge was to salvage what was left and still try and get the car back into championship form for the race the next day. Thankfully we were only driving the chassis of the car during practice so the body of the car with the entire solar panel was left untouched. After hours of stressful work throughout the night, we somehow managed to make the electrical system work again. Pfeffer didn't want to disappoint anyone so of course he drove the car the next day. Our car went on to win the entire race and set new national records. Our team also earned the teamwork award for our efforts.

It may seem totally unrelated to be talking about this on this blog but actually, I think it characterizes everything we've done with our businesses. Pfeffer and his family have been a part of our family ever since we started DIY-ing and there is no way we could have done it with them. Through thick and thin, we always do our best to be realistic and ambitious at the same time and somehow we always make it work. We learned how to start our own businesses without any actual formal training by simply putting our minds to it and never giving up. We strive for the best and prepare for the worst and no matter what obstacles stand in our way, we always tough it out together. That's what championship teams do, that's what friends do, and most importantly, that's what FAMILY does.

Today, I'd like to honor my hairy business partner and brother from another mother. He can file taxes just as fast as he can choke you out and I'm glad he's on our team. You're a good dude, Robert Pfeffer. Sometimes.

NO MEANS NO, PFEFFER! Happy 25th birthday, buddy.

- Vince